Amidst all the challenges created by COVID-19, it is more important than ever for business owners and their staff to stop and recognise the importance of wellbeing during the current Alert Level 4 Lockdown in New Zealand. COVID-19 has had a significant impact on how we interact with others, how we live our lives, and how we work & study.
A combination of stress, anxiety and uncertainty can hugely affect our wellbeing and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, here are some tips that can help you manage your wellbeing while staying at home during this period;
- Focus on what you can control – you can’t control the virus or developments of the outbreak, but you can control how you respond. Go for a walk, read a book, take a bath or get out in the garden – focus on the now and the things you can control.
- Recognise your feelings – it’s okay to feel anxious, worried or even frustrated. Talking to others about the way you feel is important and can help you understand your situation is common for everyone at the moment.
- Stick to routines – it’s a good idea to create clear distinctions between work and non-work time, both physically and mentally. Create a consistent routine of working in short periods with regular and clear breaks.
- Keep yourself active – our physical health has a big impact on how we feel and during times like these, it can be easy to fall into unhealthy patterns that end up making us feel worse. Try to eat healthy, drink plenty of water and exercise regularly.
- Stay connected – support systems for each other are beneficial to get through this time together. Stay connected to working groups or friends and family through virtual forums, over coffee or even a dance party. And remember to call family and friends to check-in on them.
- Lastly, take time to relax and get a good night sleep – good-quality sleep makes a big difference to how we feel, try to maintain your regular sleeping pattern and stick to good sleep practices.
Our partners at Xero offer a variety of free resources to help support business owners through the disruption of COVID-19, from free wellbeing education courses in Xero Central, to the Xero Assistance Programme along with some great blogs on wellbeing and how to support your team, you can access them here.
Our WK Strawbrige staff are always open to calls and not just about your accounts, get in touch with your WK Strawbridge advisor if you need some advice or just for a quick chat.